Sunday, September 4, 2011

More About Me

First and foremost I am an artist. I am a very visual person. I consider most things in life to be forms of art, particularly within the act of everyday living. I tend to look at the world in a symbolic way but consider myself fairly simple and direct. I try not to let to much thinking get in the way but I do consider myself somewhat analytic.
I love music of all kinds - and am a huge Pink Floyd fan. Some favorites: Beatles, Led Zepplin, Beastie Boys, Keane, Ben Folds, Kings of Leon, Steely Dan, Muse, Metallica, Linkin Park and many others which would take probably days to list. Many of my friends are musicians and I have some talent towards piano, keyboards and drums, even though I do not play often. Music, like many forms of art, is somewhat therapeutic and I do not know what I would do without it. Sometimes all I need is a couple good songs to forget about the chaos of the world.
I grew up playing football, hockey, and golf. I also have been skiing most of my life; started when I was about 5 years old and try to go whenever possible. I also picked up snowboarding around the year 2000, though it was tough to learn. I also used to skateboard which made snowboarding a little easier. I play golf often during the spring, summer, and fall - and may even go after writing this. I shoot in the bogey/double bogey range which is not as good as I'd like, but I enjoy everything that golf entails. I play tennis at a local tennis club and usually play doubles. Tennis is my preferred form of exercise, I tried the gym but felt too much like a mouse on a wheel - not my scene. Being outdoors instead of on this computer always comes as a relief.
I am a very social person who likes company but does not mind being alone sometimes. I am the type of person who introduces themselves at a party rather than standing around waiting to be introduced. I love beer and wine and good food and enjoy cooking quite a bit. There is nothing like a nice glass of wine to go with a home cooked meal. Wine tastings - absolutely.
Thank God football season is right around the corner - GO JETS!!! Tried to watch some of the Stanley Cup but my team (Colorado Avalanche) did not make it very far.
I love to travel even though it can be expensive. Made a trip to Cape Cod a couple years back - that was a great time. We rented scooters and rode around the entire island of Martha's Vineyard. I am a New England kid at heart, despite the fact that CT can be a pain in the ass, it is my home and I love it. Vermont would be my second state of choice, with Colorado not far behind.
I am one of four kids(middle), with two brothers, one older, one younger, and one younger sister. I love my family and friends and I do not know what I would do without them.
In general, I take pride in what I do, but I like to relax as much as possible and not worry to much about my life and the world in which I live. I am a 'do, or do not' type of person, I have given up on trying. To me trying is just a thought about doing something, and nothing would ever get done if everyone was just trying.

4 comments:

  1. I can see you enjoy sports and life. I guess your self confidence and pride comes from your balanced life style, they tie up sports and the ability to relax, physical and emotional health. Excellent combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting music choices there Drake, I have recently gotten into playing golf and I really like it. Wine tastings YES! I like your choice of outdoor activities and sports.. can't wait to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you posted this in addition to the other bio, because now we get to know a lot more about you.

    First, I like your taste in music (love Ben Folds), and I like the Jets (though I love the Giants). You sound like a pretty decent athlete yourself, as well as a musician. Based upon the information here, I’d say you’re a well-rounded, petty cool person.

    But I digress. Here now are a few observations about the writing in this piece. You begin by saying: “First and foremost I am an artist. I am a very visual person.” But aren’t all artists visual people, really?

    To draw in the reader you could have started the piece this way: “I am a visual person. I consider even the things in everyday life to be forms of art …” I condensed two sentences and took out the extraneous word “very”. You could get into specifics about you being an artist, like where you work and what you do, later on in the piece.

    Then maybe you could pick up here: “As an artist, I try not to let too much thinking get in the way of my work, though I have to admit that I am somewhat of an analytical thinker who also sees the world in a symbolic way.” I condensed and clarified here. The phrase “… but consider myself fairly simple and direct” seemed a little awkward, and in need of the additional word “person”.

    The rest is generally O.K. I liked this sentence a lot: “Sometimes all I need is ARE?***a couple good songs to forget about the chaos of the world.”

    I found some small typos and copy-editing issues: for example, it should be” too much thinking,” instead of “to much thinking,” and “introduces himself,” instead of “introduces themselves at a party.”

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First and foremost I am an artist. I am a very visual person. I consider most things in life to be forms of art, particularly within the act of everyday living. I tend to look at the world in a symbolic way but consider myself fairly simple and direct. I try not to let to much thinking get in the way but I do consider myself somewhat analytic.

    Now let’s strip away the hesitation and repetition.

    I am an artist. I am visual. Daily life is made up of art forms. I see the world as symbolic, while I am more direct. I don’t dwell, but I consider.

    When we get down to the essence, the essence is abstract and even contradictory. That’s fine for an artist, but I would appreciate some details. How do you see art in the everyday? Do you make brushing your teeth into a performance? Is the cream in your coffee a Rorschach test? The metaphorical world and simple man idea is intriguing, but how does it work?

    What unites the different musicians you love? Are they storytellers? Are they not?

    I wish you didn’t leave art so fast. Who are your favorite designers and painters? Like I said, you are an artist. You can contradict yourself. You can say something like: I see the elements of the world as either with or without serifs. Please do.

    You admit this is not your chosen brush. You are just starting to explore yourself in words. That’s fine.

    It’s good work. Keep going.

    Oh and does this blog template not allow you to make paragraphs?

    ReplyDelete