Saturday, September 3, 2011

Topic Choice

Before ICM506 began last Monday, I was unsure what topic to pick and how to approach it. It is difficult for me to choose something to write about, first of all because I consider myself more of a poet than a writer, and second because there is so much to choose from it can become daunting. Of all the topics out there how could one be so clear to choose? How could I pick a beat that did not come across as too much or too little? So the pondering began, and finally the events of tropical storm Irene hit me, literally.
I choose to cover the power of nature after having lived through this storm. It was more than anything I ever expected it to be, and knew it would be an excellent topic. Not only do I want to cover the details of my experience with this storm, but also how it changed me and made me look at the forces of mother nature. I believe after having endured these events makes me more than qualified to write about it and how other natural disasters impact the world.
Furthermore, I want to explore natural disasters and how they occur. There is a clear lesson to be learned from natural disasters which covers thinking about the earth in which we live, as well as how we use or abuse it. Covering this topic will include tropical storms, blizzards, avalanches, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, wildfires, volcanoes and any other form of atmospheric events that occur.  It also seems interesting to discuss how natural disasters change peoples' attitudes and behavior in an 'environmental' aspect. I will look into how natural disasters affect not only the earth and the living things upon it, but also the symbolic level of 'the storm'.
Personally I have lived through an earthquake, a hurricane, a tropical storm, a blizzard, a wildfire, two small avalanches and several floods. Even though some were more significant than others, each one affected me differently. It has become aware to me, especially after Irene, how impactful weather and natural disasters are. Natural disasters I have not experienced personally I learned about through the news, and witnessed from an outside perspective the power each one held. The difference between living through one and hearing about it is tremendous, and I hope to uncover those thoughts in exploring this topic. The next posting or two I will give a detailed account of my experiences in tropical storm Irene.

6 comments:

  1. I will be interested in following your blog on natural disasters. I have lived in Guatemala which had frequent earthquakes and several volcano eruptions. I have also been in a flood situation in Parati, Brazil. If I can be of any help with your blog let me know. Irene was my first storm/hurricane and other than the strong winds and loss of power it was interesting to wifi share at the library with business men, and an unusual variety of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drake, It took awhile for me to get the comments working. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the topic for your blog. It seems so appropriate, given all the natural disasters we’ve encountered lately. (I’m still cleaning up from Irene!)

    I also think the piece begins nicely, “Before ICM506 began last Monday, I was unsure what topic to pick and how to approach it.” That’s honest and straightforward, and something the reader (us) might identify with.

    But I think your second line should have read: “Then Irene hit me, literally.” It pulls the reader in right away. (We don’t need to know how you prefer poetry, etc.)

    You make a good argument for why you think you should cover natural disasters (though shed the superfluous word “personally” : “I have lived through an earthquake, a hurricane, a tropical storm, a blizzard, a wildfire, two small avalanches and several floods.” Good grief!

    I found some copy-editing issues, including awkward sentence structures. For instance: “It also seems interesting to discuss how natural disasters change peoples' attitudes and behavior in an 'environmental' aspect.” Do you mean: It will be interesting to see how attitudes about environmental issues are affected by natural disasters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drake, I like the topic of your blog since it is very fitting lately. You are very specific in what you are going to cover; 'Covering this topic will include tropical storms, blizzards, avalanches, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, wildfires, volcanoes and any other form of atmospheric events that occur.' It is good to be specific so that I, the reader, can know what to expect, but I found this to be a bit too much. Perhaps saying 'all natural disasters and atmospheric events.'
    I did like how you showed why this topic relates to you and where you listed all the natural disasters you lived through. In that instance, I found that list of examples to be just right because it is something personal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice comments.

    I was a little dubious about your topic Drake and then you hit me with that great line listing how many disasters you’ve experienced. You changed my mind right there.

    The point of these first two assignments is to get you thinking about how communication must always come from you. You cannot invent a fake Drake. The more you write, the more you reveal.

    The biography and credibility assignments are interchangeable. The credibility assignment is the better bio because it tells a more specific story. The focus is compelling.

    In your first bio, there is a natural narrative. You took on quite a few different jobs, but I see a lot of service positions alongside a growing dedication to design. Your credibility is there because your goal was more and more consistent, even if you started out in business school.

    Sadie is right though. Your bio is plodding. You could focus more, stressing that growing interest and experience in design. Try reducing it to two or three sentences. Summarize yourself in as few words as you can. Start with a thesis of who you are and then write a bio that reinforces that idea.

    The second bio is stronger because you choose a specific subject and write a bio that speaks to it alone.

    These are examples of subjects and voices you could foster. You are not losing or removing parts of yourself by focusing on one aspect for a particular audience. You can have many voices

    But someone completely focused is the most compelling.

    Do one thing well is an old piece of advice.

    On a design website, I want to hear the narrative of how you became a passionate designer. On a natural disaster website, I don’t need you to be a scientist, just someone with the passion to go after the facts. A witness is perfect.

    ReplyDelete